WEEK 10- Media and Materiality
Mar. 10 (T)- Seminar: Anthropology of Media and Museum Studies
- Read: Peake, B. (2017). “Media Anthropology: Meaning, Embodiment, Infrastructure, and Activism.” In N. Brown, et al., Perspectives: An Open Invitation to Cultural Anthropology.
- Watch: Gantz, N. Cartwright, S., Latuff, C. (2017, Mar. 2). Roland Barthes – How to Read the Signs in the News. Al Jazeera English [2.58 mins].
- Watch: Samura, S. & Takenova, E. (2017, Mar. 2). Edward Said – Framed: The Politics of Stereotypes in News. Al Jazeera English [2.29 mins].
- Watch: Goodman, A. & Pirak, P. (2017, Mar. 2). Noam Chomsky – The 5 Filters of the Mass Media Machine. Al Jazeera English [4.46 mins].
- Watch: Jeffers, N. Juhnevica, I. & Warsame, Z. (2017, Mar. 2). Stuart Hall – Race, Gender, Class in the Media. Al Jazeera English [3.20 mins].
- Watch: Chow, A. & Savage, D. (2017, Mar. 2). Marshall McLuhan – Digital Prophecies: The Medium is the Message. Al Jazeera English [2.14 mins].
- Read: Welsch, R.L & L.A. Vivanco (2018). Chapter 15: “Materiality: Constructing Social Relationships and Meaning with Things.” In Cultural Anthropology: Asking Questions About Humanity, 2nd ed. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Watch: TheBrainScoop (2014, Dec. 14). Shoes. The Field Museum [10.04 mins].